Check out my other blog HERE

Monday, February 21

My Thoughts on How to Assess a Foreign Language

I was just reading a book called How To Assess Student Work which solidified in my mind that I actually am doing some things right.  You know how some times we choose to plan and teach a certain way but can't really explain why other than it just feels right?  Well, I've always felt that I should give my students written tests on the grammar and then some sort of performance based test like an oral presentation of some sort.  Well, this ties into  the same theory as when you are trying to get your driver's license.  You must pass a written test that shows you understand the LAWS, PROCEDURES and VOCABULARY of driving but you must also pass a performance based test by actually taking a drive with someone who has a rubric and can assess your actual driving skills.  I feel that you need both types of assessment in a foreign language situation as well.

1 comment:

Mrs. Boojwa said...

We did this in French in high school. I hated it. We took a written test and an oral test, EVER time. I hated it a lot. But that doesn't mean it was bad :) just means it was prbly working. I actually learned more grammar about the English language by learning grammar of another language. Interesting how that works, eh?