Check out my other blog HERE

Friday, February 18

Day 07 - Best job you ever had

Well, obviously I really enjoy being a teacher.  I think, though, that I first came to know that I really enjoyed teaching teenagers was when I worked as an EFY counselor.  I worked 6 sessions during the summer of 2005.  It worked out well because I needed to save up money for the first 6 months of my mission and each session that I worked help pay for one month of the mission.  

The sessions that I worked were Portland, Tacoma 1, Tacoma 2, Rexburg 8, Rexburg 9 and Dillon, Montana.  Each session was great but I really enjoyed the group of counselors that I worked with in Portland and Tacoma.  I would say that I had 2 really special sessions:  Portland and Tacoma 2 were very memorable groups for a lot of reasons.  The Portland group was my first week and I was stressed and didn't know what I was doing but as the week went on, I really felt a lot of support from my co-counselors and our company (called Hid From The Eyes) won the "spunity" award (if I remember correctly it was kind of a big deal because it's the best EFY award and only one company from each week wins it).  I really connected with those kids!

  
(some of the staff from the Portland session @ Pacific University)

Then, in Tacoma 2 it was just me and my co-counselor (Ryan, I think was his name) which is abnormal because usually there are 2 groups of girls and one group of guys in a company...so the odds for my girls were really good.  That week we were 16 stones and even though we didn't win the "spunity" award our group was really tight and I got my mission call that week 
which was a really cool experience for everyone involved. 
(most of the staff at Tacoma 2) 
 (hanging out with the counselors on some pier in Seattle after Tacoma 2)
(the beautiful University of Puget Sound campus--these are some of the dorms)

I loved working at EFY!  I hope to do it again this summer. 

No comments: