Check out my other blog HERE

Wednesday, February 11

Estoy "embarazada" embarrassed.

So, for the past several weeks my students have taken a particular interest in my love life and I have no idea why they find my lack of love life so fascinating. It all started when I accidentally got a text during 3rd period. They were all working on their starter, the class was engaged so I snuck a peek. It was my buddy Josh writing to see if I was going to his house to watch LOST. I quickly sent him a note back saying, "heck yes". (Side note: I don't have a TV and I hate waiting until Thursday to watch it online). Well, some kids caught me texting. I defended myself by saying that I had to let my friend Josh know I was coming because I hate missing LOST.

"What, is Josh your boyfriend?" they all asked. No commentary on the fact that I like LOST or that I don't have a tv.

"No Josh is not my boyfriend, he is my friend, just like so-and-so is YOUR friend."

"But Ms. Spravzoff, do you have a boyfriend? Do you want Josh to be your boyfriend? What does he look like? Why don't you have a boyfriend?"

And thus, a myriad of questions were proposed in about 30 seconds. Stupid me, I tried to answer them all instead of saying MYOB por favor. I was advised by several 14 year olds to get myself on Match.com and that if I set my standards too high I might end up alone forever. Now, I can laugh at all of this, I think it's all pretty amusing. But it didn't stop there, several other classes wanted in on all the dirt, and decided that they needed to take my picture to set me up on an online dating service. Then over the course of a few weeks, students would come to class,
"Ms. Spravzoff, are you friends with Mr. So-and-so. I really think he's your type. I think you guys should date." Well now I've got all sorts of prospects according to my students, and right here at Elk Ridge. Never mind that some of them are twice my age, or married! All I could do was laugh.

The next time they ask me any questions about my personal life my response will be "None of your business!". And let's be honest, I should just keep my cell phone hidden until 2:50.



P.S. Just an FYI, embarazada doesn't mean embarrassed, so don't go around saying that, it actually means pregnant. Avergonzada means embarrassed. And que verguenza means, How embarrassing!

No comments: