Check out my other blog HERE

Saturday, November 29

My "THANKFULS"

Well, it's funny, I haven't made a physical written list of things that I'm grateful for since 2006...and that was actually quite a project. I made it in Argentina and had ideas for it to turn into something bigger when I got home but I haven't done anything with it besides occasionally read it. Our mission president encouraged us to get a notebook and keep track of things we were thankful for. I divided it then into a few different categories. I would like to add to those categories now with a few that I have on my mind.

1. People

Lately I have had the attitude that I don't need anybody (listen to the Collective Soul song "Needs" it's my theme song) but there are some people that have greatly come to influence my life due to the fact that I spend more time with them than anybody else. Those people are my students. I cannot begin to express how they have influenced me and how much my life is blessed through interactions with them.

2. Events/Opportunities

I was so very thankful for this past General Conference and the messages that I received. I am thankful for Sundays and for my new calling. I am thankful I was given the opportunity to teach at Elk Ridge--I really do feel so lucky to be there. I love that I can see the beautiful Wasatch mountains from my window every single day. This next one might not be considered an event but I am so very thankful for prayer and priesthood blessings.

3. Trials

Since I have been home from my mission I haven't really noticed any trials in my life. Any time I might start to worry about something, I just remember how things have always worked out. Heavenly Father is always watching out for me and His tender mercies are truly everywhere. He has really taken care of me this year and while I am worried about some things going on with my family right now, I see that He is helping my parents and siblings and doing what is best for all of us.

Lately I have also been feeling extremely grateful for some very simple things that I might not be able to put into those categories and I would like to address those. First of all, I am thankful for the ability (which I have lost this week) to TASTE and to SMELL. Thanksgiving dinner isn't the same when you can't taste it, and part of what makes guys so appealing is when they smell good. I'm thankful for HAIR, one of my co-workers (an 8th grade English teacher) has been going through chemo for several years now and she wears a bandana to school most days. When she put that one on her list I decided to never complain about my hair because the truth I would always prefer a bad hair day over a no hair day. I'm thankful to live in a house with FLOORS not made of dirt or cement. I'm thankful for WASHING MACHINES because I know from 18 months of personal experience (and 3 just recently) that life stinks without them.

"When you are discouraged thinking all is lost, count your many blessings; name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done"

"So amid the conflict, whether great or small, do not be discouraged; God is over all. Count your many blessings; angels will attend, help and comfort give you to your journey's end."

Hymns, p. 241

1 comment:

Mrs. Boojwa said...

Thanks for sharing that :) It was nice to see you this weekend. I forgot to give you your sleeping bag back :P